Nassif Ghoussoub obtained his Doctorat d’état in 1979 from the Université Pierre et Marie Curie in Paris, France. His present research interests are in non-linear analysis and partial differential equations. He is currently a Professor of Mathematics, and a “Distinguished University Scholar” at the University of British Columbia. He also served as an elected member of the Board of Governors of the University for the periods 2008-2014 and 2018-20.
He was the founding Director of PIMS (Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences) for the period 1996-2003, a co-founder of the MITACS Network of Centres of Excellence (Mathematics of Information Technology and Complex Systems) and a member of its Board of Directors for the periods 1998-2003 and 2008-16. He is also the founder of BIRS (The Banff International Research Station) and has been its Scientific Director for the period 2004-2020.
He was the recipient of the Coxeter-James prize in 1990, and of a Killam senior fellowship in 1992. In 2004, he was awarded a Doctorat Honoris Causa by the Université Paris-Dauphine, and in 2015, he was named Doctor of Science Honoris Causa by the University of Victoria. The Canadian Mathematical Society awarded him the Coxeter-James prize in 1990, the Jeffrey Williams Prize in 2007, and the David Borwein Distinguished Career Award in 2010. In 2019, he was awarded the CRM-Fields-PIMS prize by the three Canadian Math institutes. He was elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 1993, and was appointed Officer of the Order of Canada in December 2015.
- Full Member, Académie des Sciences du Liban (2020)
- CRM-Fields-PIMS prize (2019)
- Inaugural Fellow of the Canadian Mathematical Society (2018)
- Fellow of the Fields Institute (2017)
- Officer of the Order of Canada (2016) The Order of Canada Ceremony, September 23, 2016
- Doctor of Science Honoris Causa, The University of Victoria (2015)
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal (2012)
- Fellow of the American Mathematical Society (2012)
- David Borwein Distinguished Career Award (2010)
- Faculty of Science Achievement Award for outstanding service and leadership (2007)
- Jeffrey-Williams Prize (2007)
- Doctorat Honoris Causa, Université Paris-Dauphine (2004)
- Distinguished University Scholar, UBC (2004)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada (1994)
- Killam Senior Research Fellowship, UBC (1992)
- Coxeter-James Prize, Canadian Mathematical Society (1990)